13 Things You Need To Know About Being A Teenager:
- You’re going to feel like strangling people or hugging them and you’re probably going to feel it at the same time. Remember, there’s only a fine difference between the two.
- You’re going to have moments when you feel nobody loves you. Impossible. Your mom and dad will always love you. Moreover, the person writing this for you will always love you the most.
- Ma and Baba are wrong sometimes. So are other adults. After all, they are all humans. But you’re going to be wrong more often than they are. Always consult an older person to not end up doing thing silly things.
- People change. Don’t let it bother you. Relationships are important but not important enough to dictate your life. So what if there are people who think you’re weird the way you are? So what if some people don’t like you? It doesn’t matter if you have haters – it means you’re doing something right and good that people don’t like. Be exactly who you are. You’ll find people who love you just as you are.
- Baby, remember one thing. Life is only 1% of what happens to you. 99% of it is made up of how you react to it. Don’t overreact. You’ll be fine.
- You’re at that stage in life when people will refer to you as an adult or a kid whenever they find it convenient. It’s frustrating but you’ll get used to it.
- Every person feels insecure. You have felt before, you might feel so again. You’re not alone in feeling that way. Just hold your chin up and be confident. You’re smart, pretty and fun and don’t anybody ever convince you otherwise.
- If something is illegal or against the rules, there’s a very good reason for it. If you disagree with the reason (and there’s a good chance you might), talk to Ma and Baba and see if the rule can be bent or changed. If not, well, suck it up, you don’t make the rules. Not YET anyway.
- It’s okay to ignore #8 once in a while as long as you don’t make it a bad habit! Remember, if you get caught, you probably won’t get into to as much as trouble as you think it will get you into. But it will still get you into trouble.
- Shit happens. Things fall apart. You feel like your life is spiralling downward. It’s normal. Don’t drown yourself in tears. Toughen up, be a soldier and fight everything that blocks your way.
- “Love is patient, love is kind. Love means slowly losing your mind.” – Kevin (Malcolm) Doyle, 27 Dresses – Truer words NEVER said. It doesn’t describe ‘love’, obviously, but teenage infatuation, YES. I sound like a pissing off adult who is extremely old-fashioned but trust me, love is not butterflies in your stomach or your heart beating extremely fast. Those are hormones, it’s caused by puberty, it’s all boring Biology so don’t let it take over your mind!
- You’re going to be annoyed with people. You’re going to have fights, arguments, disagreements and screaming matches. But they end sometime or the other and it’s so much better to fight than keep it all locked up inside you. If you’re wrong, own up and admit it. But if you’re not wrong, don’t you EVER let someone push you around or control you.
- Teen years are crazy years. You’re going to hate them and love them. You’re going to laugh and cry. You’re going to be angry and you’re going to be ‘in love’. You’re entering a completely insane period in your life. Do all you’re expected to but enjoy every moment of it because these years won’t come back. Take opportunities, do stupid things sometimes, go on adventures, make friends and watch all the lovey-dovey serials that you actually get the time to watch (since you love them so much!) You’ll love the ride and you’ll be steering. Just remember, I’m always riding shotgun if you ever need the directions.
To the most beautiful, most special and most wonderful girl who made an entry into my life as a crying 45cm infant thirteen years ago,
Happy Birthday baby girl.
I don’t care what your age is, you’ll always be my baby for me and you know it.
Of course, that doesn’t mean you stop making my toast or helping me find my clothes. That way, you’re allowed to be the older one once in a while 😉
But that aside,
You’re my baby :*